Apropos nothing, except that over the past few days, during several coaching sessions, the topic of “Interference” has arisen.
Maybe it’s the time of year.
For those who aren’t yet familiar with the concept of “Interference”, here’s a short resume.
Most people in business, in life, deep down know what they should do in order to grow, in order to be more successful. But the secret is to turn that Knowledge into Action.
“Interference” is the barrier that exists between Knowing what to do, and taking Action. It afflicts about 97 percent of people and can be the sole barrier to success. It can be terminal.
“Interference” manifests itself in many ways, resulting in disruption, interruptions, procrastination, and an absence of Focus.
Breaking through the interference barrier is one of the keys to success.
What one thing could you do, on a consistent and regular basis, which would dramatically increase your levels of success? Yes, that one thing… you know what it is.
Now, if you aren’t currently doing it, or enough of it, it’s probable that you are suffering from interference.
Whatever your barrier, address it this month.
1. Set a performance standard for each day (example: A set number of sales calls, or whatever that one issue is that you’ve identified there’s a barrier with).
2. Resolve to stick to this for a set time period (example: a month, or until the end of the year).
3. Keep on with it regardless of results (just because business starts to rise after a few days, don’t say, “there, that’s it, it’s worked, we can relax again now!”).
4. Picture how you will feel when you complete the action each day… bottle that feeling, capture the image of your success. When you are about to take the daily action, if you feel any interference welling up, just create that picture in your mind, and imagine that feeling of how good it will be to just do it.
5. Set it up as a game, and have a play! Use a 28-day grid to monitor your challenge (28 squares, representing 28 days, put a tick in the square when the action is done).
6. Imagine how you would approach it if you absolutely HAD to do it.
7. Set a reward which you will give yourself at the end of the challenge… something tangible… a real treat.
At first, this is about discipline, but very soon, that turns into habit. And it’s having powerful habits in a few key areas which will make the world your oyster. Go for it…