One of the main drivers for you, and any person, is a sense that you are making a difference, a sense that what you are doing and being, on a moment by moment basis, is significant.
Significance can be a huge motive for action (Motivation) and will ensure that you can go beyond the norm in your daily activities. Significance is, of course, not to be confused with ‘status’ – although a sense of significance and status might go together. It’s not about chasing ‘likes’ and ‘follows’ on social media. Nor is it about the car, house, or gadgetry you own. And yet, some of the people who own the most, do so because they make a significant difference in the lives of others, and indeed in their own lives.
Start with creating significance within yourself …and the rest will follow.
Thirteen Top Tips for Creating Significance:
1. Write a journal… whether daily or weekly. Maybe no one will ever read it, but your personal journal makes every day significant in your life’s progress. After all, you are the author of your life story.
2. Write out highlights of each week, business and personal, and look forward to what’s planned for the coming week.
3. Look for the lesson in everything you do and everything that happens.
4. Nurture creativity. Being creative exercises the creative spirit and like a muscle this strengthens with use, and atrophies with neglect. Cultivating creativity helps you see life from many angles and the enjoyment becomes fuller. The business applications are legion.
5. Look for passion, fun, and enthusiasm in everything you do. It’s your life, and if you don’t feel it’s significant, no one else will.
6. Become observant, really seeing things (not just looking at them). This generates attention to important detail in every situation. You will notice what others don’t notice, without being hung up on the small stuff.
7. Make every conversation count, every action matter, every thought meaningful and positive.
8. Be a “meaningful specific rather than a wandering generality”. Know what you are about, what you stand for, and where you are going… and where each moment is as part of that. Know your Values, purpose, mission.
9. Focus on your strengths, your Unique Talent… and systemise or delegate the rest.
10. Simplify everything. KISS = Keep it Simply Significant.
11. Know yourself. Spend time alone, in silence.
12. Spend time with the world… walking, in nature is perfect for this.
13. Have a LifeMap. Ask yourself, “what do I want to be true in 25 years”. And build it, one brick at a time.